Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Semester

My Story
I attended college directly after high school. I always wanted to get out of little down east Maine. So I applied for 3 colleges in MA near big cities. I got accepted to all and decided to attend the same one my best friend got into. Of course we were even roommates. It was a fun time, but I didn’t learn very much. I dropped out right after thanksgiving to return home.
After returning home I had several jobs until I found the “one”. I had got a job working with kids in crisis. It was challenging and rewarding all at the same time. I knew this is what I would do the rest of my life, until one day I got injured at work and broke my ankle. It was one of the strangest breaks my doctor had ever seen. Two surgeries later and a lot of damage to the inside I was forced to go on disability.
It was then that I decided that I needed to get an education to be able to get a job working with kids. The job that I had was too physical to return. It was then I decided that my dream was to be a Juvenile Probation officer.
This May I will graduate with my Associates in Liberal Studies and will continue on with my education at UMA to get my BA in Criminal Justice! It has taken me a long time as I have had children along the way. When I attend that graduation I will hold my head up high as I am the first one in my family to get a college education.

3 comments:

  1. If it's okay with you, I'd pass this on to the school's publicity department for possible use. Are you interested in that?

    ReplyDelete